Beyond Religion and Belief
Beyond Region and Belief (BRB) is our ground breaking workplace programme which seeks to raise awareness, and address, sectarianism in the workplace.
‘Faith and Belief’ is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 and Nil by Mouth have been keen to support employers in ensuing that staff are made fully aware of both their rights and responsibilities in this area.
BRB addresses sectarianism in the workplace by providing a range of support services and long term strategies to partners. These include direct workshops to staff, intensive sessions with management focusing on policy directives and ‘train the trainers’ style events which are followed up with provision of resources for internal use by HR and Equalities staff. BRB was developed in conjunction with the STUC, Scottish Government, ACAS and a number of public and private sector employers.
To date over 130 partners have participated in the project across public, private, co-operative and voluntary sectors. BRB also offers workshops for employability projects, teacher training degree and post graduate courses and adults seeking re-training to reinforce the rights and responsibilities of staff and employers.
Our sessions cover:
- What is sectarianism?
- How do people make sectarian judgements?
- How does it manifest itself in our societies and workplaces?
- What is online bigotry and what is its impact on the workplace?
- Real life examples of bigotry in the workplace.
- How do we raise awareness of sectarianism and challenge instances of it at work effectively?
We also offer
- Advice on policies and practices for HR professionals and equalities staff.
- In- depth management modules.
- DVDs to assist staff with ‘in house’ training.
- Running stalls and information sessions at diversity and equality events.
- Promotional posters and resources to raise awareness of issue.
We also offer workshops to school teachers, teaching students, college classes and employability projects. Helping to ensure that people enter the workplace fully equipped with the skills to recognise and challenge sectarian behaviour and attitudes
The project is currently offered at no cost to employers and we are delighted to have worked with a range of partners including City of Edinburgh Council, British Transport Police, South Lanarkshire College, Employers in Voluntary Housing, Network Rail, the PCS Trade Union, Strathclyde University and Street Leagues.
If you’d like to take part on the Beyond Religion & Belief programme or would like any more information on how Nil by Mouth can assist your workplace or training course please contact us on 0141 418 7194 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org